Sunday, June 7, 2015

Hudson's Birth Story




On Thursday, May 28, 2015 we welcomed our second baby boy, Hudson Christopher!

Here's the story of his {very fast} arrival...

I had my weekly doctor appointment in the morning at 10am.  Josh, Mason, and I all went and the doctor said everything was looking great and I was at about 3cm and 70% effaced.  I told her that I had been having a few contractions but nothing strong or close together.  The doctor said we need to get the contractions to "stick" so we went to IKEA afterwards to do some good walking.  As we were walking around IKEA, my contractions started to get much closer.  About every 10-15 minutes.  We left and got some lunch and they started to slow down again.  We came home after lunch and all took a nap before we had to take Mason to swim lessons.

At 4:30pm, we headed to Mason's swim lesson where my mom was going to meet us to watch Mason swim.  My contractions were again about 10-15 minutes apart, but they still weren't really strong, just uncomfortable.  We decided to bring Mason's packed suitcase with us, just in case.  After Mason's lesson, Josh and I asked my mom to take Mason and have him stay the night with them, just so I could get some rest while my contractions were still happening, but not increasing.

Josh and I got home about 6:00pm.  My contractions were a little closer, about every 7-10 minutes apart.  I decided to lay down and rest while Josh finished a project he was working on in the kitchen.  As I was laying down, I wasn't sure if my water was leaking a little bit (I didn't even know your water could leak until I read it about a week before and I am SO glad I did!) I told Josh that I wasn't sure, but my water might have broken.  He said we should head to the hospital.  I was skeptical because my contractions were still only about 7 minutes apart and they weren't too strong (apparently I am a little bit like Wonder Woman) and I didn't want to go to the hospital and have them send me home.

As we grabbed the last few items we needed, packed them in the hospital bag, and headed to the car, my contractions got much stronger.

We drove to the hospital with my contractions about 3-5 minutes apart and arrived at the hospital at 7:07pm. We walked inside where two other women, also in labor, had walked in immediately before us.  All three of us were wheeled upstairs after a few minutes of the question game.  The first two women were put into triage rooms, but there was no room for me, so I was put right into a regular delivery room, thank goodness!

We got into the room at about 7:30pm, I got on a gown, they started the IV and brought my wristband (everything was moving so fast that they moved me upstairs without even completing my hospital  check in.)

The nurse checked me and said I was at about 3.5 cm.  WHAT?!  They gave me some oxygen and said that baby's heartbeat was dropping a little bit with each contraction so they would "probably" keep me...

About ten minutes later my water broke and I was screaming that I felt pressure and that he was right there.  They called the doctor from upstairs, but the nurse also quickly grabbed the midwife that works at my OB office, from the hallway just in case.  As I was screaming in pain, Josh asked the midwife if I could get the epidural (because don't forget, we have only been in the hospital room for about 20 minutes by now and they haven't done the epidural yet.)  Her reply was a very sweet, "ah, no." WHAT?!  I said, "Really?" "Can I do this without an epidural?"  Heck yes, I can, and I DID!

All in one contraction, the midwife said I could push if I felt like I needed to, so I did, and in one big push Hudson was born at 8:11pm!

All I can say is, THANK GOODNESS we went to the hospital when we did.  Otherwise, I would have waited until my water broke and he would have been born at home or in the car.
THANK GOODNESS there wasn't enough room in triage, so I was already in a delivery room.
THANK GOODNESS we decided to have Mason go with my mom just two hours earlier or he probably would have been in the delivery room with us.

It was SO fast, a little crazy, but completely wonderful and perfect.
We are so happy and so blessed.

No comments: